There are also several innovative techniques being studied as possible surgical treatment for fibroid-related bleeding.
They have been designed to treat the myomas by destroying their blood supply instead of removing them.
- Myolysis involves delivering electric current via needles to a fibroid at the time of laparoscopy.
- Cryomyolysis involves using a freezing probe in a similar manner.
- Uterine artery embolization is a radiological alternative to surgery.
- High Intensity Focused Ultrasound
While all of these treatments may prove to be effective treatments for fibroids, compared to more traditional options,
- the number of patients treated by these methods have been small
- the follow-up relatively short term
- the safety of these procedures in women desiring pregnancy has not been demonstrated